Friday, October 18, 2013

Finding The Job

**I am going to apologize in advance for the fact that I am not a writer.  I am creating this blog for purposes of seeing my transformation in the year as well as for others who wish to try something new but do not know where to start.

For months I had be searching for teaching jobs in Germany, hoping to move there while my boyfriend finished his schooling. However, being a teacher in a different country is hard enough especially when I can't even speak German. I thought it was a lost cause but continued to look just in case. I searched the internet any free moment I had.  I applied to international schools all across the country hoping they could use an English speaking early childhood/special education teacher for something...  While my summer was quickly passing I was losing even more hope that I would be moving to Germany.  I did not hear anything from the schools I had applied to.  Most of the schools required prior teaching knowledge or German speaking abilities.  Since I have neither I kept looking.  Finally my boyfriend came across a link to an elementary school named DUALINGO that was looking for a part-time English Teacher.  It seemed perfect so I applied. 

After I sent the application I was pretty sure they had already filled the position, seeing as it was mid July and school started in late August.  As soon as I had lost hope I got an email asking if I was coming to Germany anytime soon and if I could interview with them.  Seeing as a plane ticket to Germany is not an easy purchase for someone who was then working part-time at a day care, I asked if there was anyway to hold an interview over skype.  I was excited but still skeptical, worried that they might not want a "fresh out of college" teacher.  So we scheduled a skype interview and we were off. Scheduling was the hardest part because of the fact that Germany is 6 hours ahead of The U.S. and I worked 8 hours a day. We decided on first thing in the morning for me and the end of the school day for them.  I was sure to dress my best (at least from the waist up) and I had a list of questions, my resume, and of course my cover letter I sent them.  

Because I did not speak German the principal made sure to have one of the other English teachers also on skype to make everything a bit easier. Before the interview, I tried to read up about German schooling but it was still so confusing to me so I also had a list of what may seem to be simple questions.  I made sure to ask about wages, cost of living, taxes, how many hours I would get (this was a big one for me), and what the job includes.  He was able to answer a few of my questions but the majority of the time was spent asking about the American education system and how I was taught to teach.  


By the end of the interview I was feeling excited but nervous as to whether or not I got the job. I soon pushed it to the back of my mind and I was off to my part time job. 




No comments:

Post a Comment