Friday, October 18, 2013

Taxes in Germany

Hmmm... This was one of the hardest things to find out.  I was trying to find out how much in taxes would be taken out each month but in the end I had to make my decision solely on the fact that it was somewhere between 10%-40% which DOESN'T help AT ALL!!!

So if you are planning on moving to Germany this is the biggest question you want to ask upfront with your employer.  Although, I was not told before hand what mine would be I was guessing on the high end around 30% to get an idea of how much money I had.  Luckily when I got here and signed my contract I found out that my taxes (because I was not a citizen was only around the 10% mark).  I am thinking that maybe once you live here longer they may go up...but that is only a thought I have in my head and may be completely false!

A list of taxes that are usually taken out in Germany:

  • Income tax and social security taxes 
    • Health insurance
    • Old age care
    • Unemployment
    • Pension
  • Church tax - this was a very unusual one for me
  • Also a few others that I probably missed



I hope this helps and if anyone else has any information on taxes in Germany or a comparison with other countries please be sure to leave comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment